Caregiver Support Services
The Orange County Department on Aging is proud to offer both individualized and community level supports to caregivers. Please reach out to the Aging Information Helpline at 919-968-2087 or AgingTransitions@orangecountync.gov for more information.
- An opportunity to speak with a caregiver or dementia support specialist regarding your specific caregiving situation.
- Our social worker and occupational therapist team are available to support you through challenging situations that may arise along the dementia-caregiving journey.
- Schedule a time with an occupational therapist to complete a screening and learn more about you or a loved one’s specific areas of cognitive strength and challenge.
- Trained Options Counselors provide guidance to individuals as they make informed choices about long-term services and supports.
Music In My Mind
- A program to create a personalized music playlist for your loved one with memory change
- Music In My Mind Orange County
In-Home Assistance Resources
- Information about where and how to hire help at home
- Aging in Place Support (see In-Home Assistance)
Dementia Education Collaborative
- Educational opportunities designed to provide information about dementia to individuals with memory concerns, caregivers, family members, friends, and interested community members. to learn more about dementia
|LOCATION||DATE / TIME|
|Chapel Hill Public Library||Tuesdays: 10AM - 12PM;|
February 5, 12, 19, & 26
|TBD||Next session will be offered in April|
*Starting February 11, 2019 we will gather at Bruegger's Bagels on the second Monday of each month from 2:00 - 3:15 p.m. Monthly opportunity for persons with dementia and their care partners to relax over a cup of coffee and socialize.
Memory Café on the Move
- Fun opportunities for persons with dementia and their care partners to explore the community and connect with others.
|LOCATION||DATE / TIME|
Behind the Scenes Tour of DPAC
Monday, January 14 at 1PM
NASHER Reflections Tour
Tuesday, Feb 19th at 10:30AM
Ackland Museum of Art Tour
Thursday, March 21 at 10:30AM
UNC Visitors Center: A sense of place tour
Tuesday, April 9 at 11AM
Counter Culture Coffee Roaster
Friday, May 17 at 10AM
Honeysuckle Tea House- Grounds Tour
Tuesday, June 11 at 11AM
|Frank Gallery Tour||TBD|
|Maple View Ice Cream Social||Wednesday, August 7 at 2PM|
|Duke Homestead Tour||Thursday, September 19 (Time TBD)|
|Carolina Inn- 12 Days of Christmas Tour||Tuesday, December 17 at 2PM|
Caregiver Support Groups
- Meet with other caregivers to share experiences, learn new skills, and get answers to questions about dementia and other long-term disabilities.
- The group meets:
- The first Tuesday of each month at the Passmore Center, 4 - 5:30PM; starting in March of 2019 the group will meet 2nd & 4th Thursday of the Month from 1:00 - 2:30PM
- The second and fourth Fridays of each month at the Seymour Center, 10:30AM - 12:00PM
- ‘Community News for Caregivers’ is a monthly email newsletter that provides information on upcoming events, relevant community topics, and related resources.
- Sign up for the Community News for Caregivers
Dementia Friendly Businesses
- A free education program for local businesses and organizations that provides them with awareness and resources to better support clientele who are living with dementia.
- See a complete list of Dementia Friendly organizations
- If you would like to request a Dementia Friendly training, email the Aging Transitions Team or call 919-968-2087