School Systems Report for Orange County
Updates for the Week of January 18, 2021
Chapel Hill-Carrboro School System
- January 15: End of 2nd Quarter
- January 15: Food for Students families received 5 meals**
- January 16: PAHS Mid-Year Graduation, 10:00 – 11:00 am
- January 18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday*
- January 19: Teacher Workday*
- January 19: CANCEL: Special Call Board Meeting- Interviews for Board Vacancy 5:30 – 9:30 pm
- January 20: Communications Committee Meeting, Virtual 8:30 – 9:30 am
- January 21: Board Meeting 5:30 – 10:00 pm
*On Monday, January 18, all CHCCS schools and buildings are closed in observance of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday, and on Tuesday, January 19, there is a Teacher Workday.
Chapel Hill-Carrboro students won’t return to the classroom as planned later this month because of the rise in COVID-19 cases statewide since Thanksgiving.
For now, the school board expects to reopen under Plan B in-person and remote learning in March, a year after moving to online learning. The plan would bring elementary students back March 1, middle school students March 8 and high school students March 15.
Dr. Hamlett was sworn in as Superintendent on January 4, 2021. For more information about Dr. Hamlett, see https://docs.google.com/document/d/19u464wdd598bMAWopkhf4iWnk7_uDniYh9Dc3inVx3o/edit .
Dr. Hamlett states that her immediate goal is to “LOL - listen, observe, learn” in order to build relationships with those in the CHCCS community.
In order to prepare for the eventual return of students, CHCCS has compiled a document for families called Welcome Back. CHCCS' intention is that this guide will answer many of the questions regarding the safe return to schools. You can access it athttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1aTMB6ljoiU37leP01ed_mbUg8YQ74lBSvWWkK9H-oDY/edit .
Student Reassignment 2022-2023: Update: Due to the pandemic, the Board of Education has postponed the reassignment process for one year. The reassignment is now scheduled to take effect in the 2022-23 school year. No reassignment plans will be put in place without many opportunities for public input and participation. Community input sessions will be held at Lincoln Center and at sites throughout the district. They will be listed on the Reassignment Calendar and Documents page,https://www.chccs.org/Page/10208 .
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School District is now offering a secure and convenient way to request and receive student records. Student Records consist of: transcript, immunization record, verification of name, verification of birth. For more information about Transcript and Student Records Requests, see https://www.chccs.org/Page/1163 . To order an Online Request visit: https://chapelhillnc.scriborder.com .
Orange County School District
- January 16: Virtual Office Hours with OCS Board Members, 9:00 –11:00 am (see https://www.orangecountyfirst.com/domain/38 for details on how to join the meeting)
- January 18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (School Closed)
- January 20: End of first Quarter
- January 20: OCS Special Called Meeting: OCS Administration Update to the Board re: Special Safety Measures for K-1, 5:00 p.m.*
- January 20-21: Teacher Workdays
- January 1-31: Choice Transfer & Admission applications will be Available**
- February 1-28: Discretionary Transfer & Admission applications will be available**
Important Announcement: On January 11th, the Board of Education voted to delay the return of students in grades 2-12 to in-person instruction until at least the end of the third grading quarter, which ends on March 26 (March 25 for year-round students at Hillsborough Elementary). Also, the Board decided to delay the return of grades Kindergarten and first grade students to in-person instruction until three additional safety measures can be implemented. The three additional measures are: 1) the purchase and installation of air purifiers in each classroom being used; 2) a plan for student meals to not be eaten in the classroom; and, 3) a program of regular COVID-19 antigen testing in each school building. OCS will participate in the NC Department of Health and Human Services’ (NC DHHS) COVID-19 antigen rapid testing program ( https://www.ncdhhs.gov/news/press-releases/ncdhhs-selects-17-school-districts-11-charter-schools-across-state-participate ). As soon as details are available, they will be shared with OCS staff and families.
*OCS administration is developing plans for implementing each of the three additional safety measures and will provide an update to the Board at a special called meeting that will take place on Wednesday, January 20th at 5:00 p.m. Additional meeting information will be shared on the OCS website ( https://www.orangecountyfirst.com/domain/38 ).
Orientation for Kindergarten students whose families opted for Plan B (in-person instruction) for Cohort A took place yesterday and today as scheduled (link to photos); orientation for Kindergarten Cohort B will take place next week as planned.
The January 25th start date for the return of in-person instruction for Kindergarten and first grade students is temporarily postponed and an updated return date will be shared as soon as the Board is updated on the three additional measures they’ve requested for in-person instruction to begin for these students at their January 11th meeting. In the meantime, Kindergarten and first grade students will continue with remote instruction.
For more information, please contact your child's school or: Michelle Dodson, Student Assignment Specialist, Student Assignment Office 919-732-8126 ext: 12512, or email: email@example.com .
Durham Technical Community College - Orange County Campus
- January 11: Spring Semester Classes Began**
- January 16: Saturday Classes Begin**
- January 18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday, College Closed
- January 19: Durham Tech Esports Leagues, Virtual 8:00 am – 11:58 pm. Download the app to your phone. Currently enrolled Durham Tech students compete against each other playing on their home gaming systems. Leagues last 8 -10 weeks and winners from each league win prizes.
- January 19: Occupational Therapy Assistant Information Session, Online 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
- January 19: Board of Trustees Executive Committee Meeting, Online 3:30 – 5:30 pm
- January 20: Instagram Live Chat: UNC Wilmington Pathways to Excellence, Virtual 12:30 – 1:30 pm. Learn more about Durham Tech'snewest guaranteed admissions pathway. Follow DTStudentLife , https://www.instagram.com/DTStudentLife/ , on Instagram.
- January 21: Nursing Information Session, Online 1:00 – 3:00 pm
- January 21: Optician Program Information Session, Online 4:00 – 5:00 pm
- January 22: Leadership Council Meeting, Teams 9:00 – 10: 30 am
- January 22: Friday Family Fun Night, Virtual 7:30 – 9:00 pm Activities vary each Friday with things like Zumba, yoga, trivia, board games, and escape rooms.
- January 25: ECU Pirate Promise Information Session, Virtual 2:00 – 3:00 pm. Learn about a guaranteed admissions pathway to Eastern Carolina University (ECU). Registration required.
For more information on up-coming Durham Tech Program Information Sessions and additional Durham Tech Events, see https://www.durhamtech.edu/events .
*All individuals must complete the health check-in to access campus and to confirm that they and members in their household are free of COVID-19 symptoms.
**For the Durham Tech Academic Calendar for 2021, see https://www.durhamtech.edu/programs/academic-calendar .
Culinary Arts is one among many on the long list of Back-to-Work opportunities at Durham Tech which provides short-term training for high demand jobs. See https://www.durhamtech.edu/academic-programs/durham-tech-back-work-initiative .
Complete the scholarship application for funds available for Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents, at https://www.durhamtech.edu/sites/default/files/media-files/Back-to-Work-Initiative-Scholarship-Application.pdf .
For information on High School Sports schedules: https://www.nchsaa.org/