Board of Health Policy on E-Cigarette Use
Proposed Board of Health Rule on E-Cigarette Use in Enclosed Areas of Restaurants & Bars
Existing North Carolina Regulation: Public Use
In North Carolina, e-cigarettes are considered a tobacco product (NC GS §14-313(4)), therefore, many places considered to be tobacco-free also prohibit the use of e-cigarettes. In Orange County, this includes venues such as 100% Tobacco-Free public schools, county buildings and vehicles, and University of North Carolina athletic facilities. In addition, several other public and private places have prohibited use such as the Chapel Hill Library.
Proposed Orange County Board of Health Rule
In January 2016, the Orange County Board of Health reviewed the emerging evidence on the risks of secondhand e-cigarette aerosol exposure and decided to develop a proposed rule to prohibit use in enclosed areas of bars and restaurants. There was a public comment period and a public hearing on the proposed rule in April 2016.
The Board has reviewed the emerging research on this issue, received input from over 150 individuals with over 80% supporting the proposed rule, and heard from more than a dozen people at the public hearing. To base their decision on the most rigorous review of public health research available, the Board has decided to schedule its vote on the proposed rule after the Surgeon General issues his report on the health effects of electronic cigarettes later this year.
Share Your Thoughts (Now Closed)
- Email (Closes April 24, 2016) - Send your comments via email to Smoke Free Orange County
- Online Survey (Closes April 24, 2016)
- Public Hearing - Wednesday, April 27th at 7 p.m. at:
Orange County Health Department
300 W Tryon Street
2nd Floor Meeting Room
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Telephone Message Line (Closes April 24, 2016) - 919-245-2480
- U.S. Mail - Closes April 24, 2016
- E-Cigarette Regulations Background Information
- References for the E-Cigarette Regulations
- Annotated References (PDF) - April 2016
- Center for Disease Control Letter of Evidence on Electronic Nicotine Devices (PDF)
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services - Electronic Cigarettes Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Presentation to the Orange County Board of Health by Jonathan Thornburg, Ph.D., Director of Exposure and Aerosol Technology at RTI International - E-Cigarettes and Vapor Products: The State of the Science