The Register of Deeds office is the official steward of birth records for Orange County. The Orange County Register of deeds only has birth records for persons born in Orange County.
Obtaining a Birth Certificate Copy
Birth Certificates can be obtained in person at the Register of Deeds office or by mail. In accordance with N.C.G.S. 130A-93, the people who may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate (other than yourself) include:
- Attorney or legal agent
- Grandparents / grandchildren
- Great-grandparents / great-grandchildren
- Your spouse
Get Certificate Now: request and pay for Birth, Death or Marriage certificates online click here
- Print and complete Spanish Birth Record Request Form (PDF) (or complete form at Register of Deeds office).
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form (PDF) (or complete the form at the Register of Deeds office).
The Register of Deeds Office is located at:
Gateway Center Building
228 S Churton Street
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Bring a valid photo identification (Driver’s License, State issued identification card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are $0.15 each
- Business check
- Certified bank check
- Debit/credit card
- Money order
- Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
Mail In Requests
- Attach a copy of a valid photo identification (Driver’s License, State issued identification card, or Passport).
- Spanish Birth Record Request Form (PDF)
- Vital Records Request Form (PDF)
- We require a self addressed stamped envelope for all mail in requests.
Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each ( Money Order, Certified Bank Check, or Business Check only). Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
Orange County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Mail In requests are processed within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt.
Letter of Request
If you are unable to print the Vital Records Request Form, please mail a letter of request including the following information, along with a copy of a valid photo identification, and the fee.
Letter of request must include:
- Date of birth
- Father’s full name
- Full name on birth certificate
- Mother’s full (maiden) name
- Your relationship to the person whose certificate is being requested
- Your signature and telephone number
Vital Records Request
Vital Records request for voting purposes
An application for vital records for voting purposes is required along with 2 proofs of identification and 1 proof of voter registration.
- Acceptable proofs of identification and voter registration (PDF)
- Application for vital records for voting purposes (PDF)
Amendments & Special Cases
Information and fees for Delayed Birth Certificates, Amendments of Birth Certificates, or Legitimations is available by calling 919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701.
Other Sources for Birth Certificates
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services also has a vital records division, which can provide birth certificates to qualified requestors.