Military Discharges

Requesting Discharge Papers

Veterans of the United States military may have their discharge papers recorded by the Register of Deeds office, with a certified copy maintained by the Register of Deeds office.


  • Bring in your original military discharge papers
  • Bring positive identification
  • There is no charge for this service

The office will make a certified copy of your military discharge papers. You get to keep the original.


By having the Register of Deeds office record your discharge papers, you can ensure there will always be official documentation of your discharge on file. Additionally, this certified copy will allow relatives to obtain full military funeral benefits. Without a certified copy of discharge papers, families of the deceased veteran will need to contact the Veteran's Administration to determine how to qualify.