Saturday, January 10, 2009, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
1. Prepare the board to make budget decisions at the January 29th budget work session.
2. Set the stage for the 2009-2010 budget deliberations by providing an overview of the current county functions and services and sharing information about the budget process.
3. Identify priorities for the 2009-2010 budget and create a draft work plan.
4. Gain agreement on ways to improve board decision-making by streamlining county board meetings and agendas.
Participants: Board chair and commissioners; Clerk; Attorney (for the first part of the day); Manager and assistants; Department heads (invited to join at noon for lunch)
8:30 Breakfast and Gather
9:00 Welcome and Agenda Review
9:15 Setting the Stage* (Laura Blackmon and Donna Coffey)
· Understand fiscal trends underlying previous budget decisions and allocations (Materials Provided at Retreat)
· Introduce Funding Matrix. Review county functions and services. Identify mandatory vs. discretionary services. (Attachment A-1)
· Fiscal context for decision making (Materials Provided at Retreat)
· Summary and feedback: making sense of the morning. (Lydian Altman and Donna Warner)
12:45 Determining Priorities* (Attachment A-4) (Lydian Altman and Donna Warner)
3:00 Improving Board Decision-Making (Attachment B) (Lydian Altman and Donna Warner)
· Review recommendations for streamlining board meetings.
· Adopt ways to remove items from the consent agenda
· Discuss board travel and training
3:40 Set agendas for future meetings (Lydian Altman and Donna Warner)
3:55 Evaluate retreat