Suspected cases of animal cruelty should be reported at the following numbers:
- Chapel Hill Town limits - (919) 942-PETS (7387)
- Carrboro Town limits - (919) 883-8398
- Remaining County - (919) 942-PETS (7387)
Investigators may ask for the following information:
- type of animal
- description of animal
- location of animal
- animal owner information, if known
- type of suspected abuse or neglect
- date and time of suspected abuse or neglect
- other details as needed
While anonymous reporting is allowed, Animal Services encourages the self-identification to ensure any investigation can perform necessary follow-up. However, complainants' names are considered public records, subject to disclosure to the public upon request. This may prompt some persons to prefer to submit cruelty complaints anonymously.
Complaints of abuse and neglect will be investigated as to their validity. When appropriate, legal action is taken by formally charging the violator.