Road Naming and Addressing Ordinance Information
On December 13th, 2011, the Orange County Board of County Commissioners adopted the Road Naming and Addressing Ordinance in an effort to expedite the delivery of emergency services. In order to establish County-wide compliance, the Tax Office will work to resolve addressing issues and it will notfiy prorperty owners of needed corrective action. Property owners should take action, if applicable, only after contacted with correct information directly from the Tax Office.
Primary Compliance Items
- The address assigned by Orange County must be properly displayed on the structure. This means that the numbers should be at least three inches tall, placed on a contrasting background, and visible to both directions of travel.
- Addresses must be in sequence in relation to other addresses on the same street and must match the ranges of addresses available for that street. Orange County will contact each owner with corrective action needed if the addresses are out of range or sequence.
- If a private drive is shared by three or more habitable structures that are more than 75 feet from the main road, the private drive must be named and signs with the name must be placed on the private drive to identify it. In addition, the addresses for the habitable structures must be properly displayed and visible on the newly named private drive. Orange County will contact each owner with corrective action needed if a private drive must be named.
Assistance or Questions
Tax Office staff is available to answer any questions regarding the ordinance and staff will be actively working with residents to assist with compliance. The Tax Office plans to communicate with every owner affected by the ordinance, even those where no issues are noted. Staff believes this approach will help relieve stress from the situation. In addition, it is expected that compliance with the ordinance will ensure that emergency services will be provided in a faster and more efficient manner. No fines will levied until after our staff has made every effort to assist you. Contact us by email. Contact us by phone:
- Tammy Hicks Walker (919)245-2505
- Margaret Jones (919)245-2287
- Miriam Coleman (919)245-2576
Fire Departments That Sell Reflective Address Signs
- Caldwell 919-732-8445
7020 Guess Rd, Rougemont NC 27572
- Cedar Grove 919-732-9585
720 Hawkins Rd, Cedar Grove NC 27231
- Eno 919-383-5967
5019 US 70 East, Durham NC 27705
- New Hope 919-493-1001
4012 Whitfield Rd, Chapel Hill NC 27514
- Orange Grove 919-967-5858
6800 Orange Grove Rd, Hillsborough NC 27278
- Orange Rural (Hillsborough) 919-732-7911
206 S. Churton St, Hillsborough NC 27278
- White Cross 919-942-1194
5722 Old Greensboro Rd, Chapel Hill NC 27516