Property Assessment Appeals
There is an appeal process to assist property owners in presenting their concerns about property revaluation.
- Informal appeals may be filed between January 1 and March 31 to the Tax Office. The taxpayer completes the Informal Notice of Appeal Form and submits it to the Tax Office with all evidence attached. The informal appeals will be reviewed by Orange County appraisal staff. Decisions are mailed to the property owner by April 30th. For more information on the methodology used to evaluate property, please contact us and schedule an appointment.
- Formal Appeals are made to the Board of Equalization and Review after March 31st and before the Board adjorns. The taxpayer must make a formal appeal in writing to the Board of Equalization and Review, who considers the appeal and makes a decision based on on the evidence presented by the taxpayer. The Board's Notice of Decision is mailed the taxpayer after the adjournment of the Board of Equalization and Review. Formal Notice of Appeal Form.
- Note: Appeals filed after the adjournment of the Board of Equalization and Review will be heard the following tax year. Adjustments would NOT be retroactive to the current year.
- Upon receiving the Board's Notice of Decision, the taxpayer has the option to further appeal to the NC State Property Tax Commission. The resident must appeal to the Property Tax Commission in writing within 30 days of the notification from the Board of Equalization and Review.
2013 Board of Equalization And Review
Is In Session
The Orange County 2013 Board of Equalization and Review (BER) convened for
its first meeting on April 24, 2013. The Board has scheduled meetings to receive
and hear taxpayer appeals of real and personal property valuations on the
following Wednesdays and Thursdays in May: 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, and 23. The
Board will adjourn from the receiving of appeals at its Thursday May 23, 2013
hearing. Click here for BER Notice of Appeal Form and Instructions.
REQUESTS FOR HEARINGS MUST BE MADE:
- IN WRITING TO THE BOARD PRIOR TO ITS ADJOURNMENT ON THURSDAY MAY 23, 2013, OR
- BY PERSONAL APPEARANCE BEFORE THE BOARD PRIOR TO ITS ADJOURNMENT ON THURSDAY MAY 23, 2013.