Orange County home page

Roads and Streets within Orange County

Street Sign

Road Sign Maintenance

Orange County provides road sign maintenance for all state-maintained intersections outside of any city limits. To report a missing or damaged road sign in the unincorporated parts of the County, complete the online form or call Beth Young at (919) 245-2510. You will need to provide the following information:

  • the names of both roads at the intersection
  • whether or not the sign/pole are missing or just fallen to the ground
  • your name and phone number

Signs are replaced as soon as possible depending on availability. Street sign issues within city limits can be reported at the maintenance numbers below.

Road and Street Maintenance

Road maintenance service is not provided by Orange County. Each municipality maintains streets and roads within their city limits. The North Carolina Department of Transportaion maintains all streets and roads in unincorporated areas.

Here is contact information for road maintenance:

  • Carrboro - Contact the Carrboro Streets Superintendent at (919) 918-7432
  • Chapel Hill - Contact The Town of Chapel Hill Public Works Department at (919) 969-5100
  • Hillsborough - Contact the Town of Hillsborough at (919) 732-2104
  • North Carolina Department of Transportation - State maintained roads outside of city limits
    Contact the Orange County Highway Maintenance Engineer at 919-732-4330 or the State Customer Service Office at 1–877–DOT–4YOU.