Roads and Streets within Orange County
Road Sign Maintenance
Orange County provides road sign maintenance for all state-maintained intersections outside of any city limits. To report a missing or damaged road sign in the unincorporated parts of the County, complete the online form or call Ardra Webster at (919) 245-2660. You will need to provide the following information:
- the names of both roads at the intersection
- whether or not the sign/pole are missing or just fallen to the ground
- your name and phone number.
Signs are replaced as soon as possible depending on availability. Street sign issues within city limits can be reported at the maintenance numbers below.
Road and Street Maintenance
Road maintenance service is not provided by Orange County. Each municipality maintains streets and roads within their city limits. The North Carolina Department of Transportaion maintains all streets and roads in unincorporated areas.
Here is contact information for road maintenance:
- Carrboro - Contact the Carrboro Streets Superintendent at (919) 918-7432.
- Chapel Hill - Contact The Town of Chapel Hill Public Works Department at (919) 969-5100.
- Hillsborough - Contact the Town of Hillsborough at (919) 732-2104.
- North Carolina Department of Transportation - State maintained roads outside of city limits.
Contact the Orange County Highway Maintenance Engineer at 919-732-4330 or the State Customer Service Office at 1–877–DOT–4YOU.