The Register of Deeds office is the official steward of birth records for Orange County. The Orange County Register of deeds only has birth records for persons born in Orange County. In accordance with N.C.G.S. 130A-93, the people who may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate (other than yourself) include:
- your spouse
- great-grandparents/ great-grandchildren
- attorney or legal agent
Birth Certificates can be obtained in person at the Register of Deeds office or by mail.
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form (or complete the form at the Register of Deeds office).
The Register of Deeds Office is located at:
Gateway Center Building
228 South Churton Street 3rd floor
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Bring a VALID photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10.00 each & uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each - (CASH, Debit/Credit Card (*convenience fee will be applied; 2.5%, minimum $2.00), Money Order, Certified Bank Check, or Business Check only). Money Orders, Certified Bank Checks, or Business Checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds”.
Mail In Requests:
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form.
- Attach a copy of a VALID photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10.00 each & uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each - ( Money Order, Certified Bank Check, or Business Check only). Money Orders, Certified Bank Checks, or Business Checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds”.
- Mail to:
Orange County Register of Deeds
PO Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Mail In requests are processed within 1-2 business days upon receipt.
If you are unable to print the Vital Records Request Form, please mail a letter of request including the following information, along with a copy of a VALID photo ID, and the fee.
- Letter of request must include: Full Name on Birth Certificate, Date of Birth, Father’s Full Name, Mother’s Full (Maiden) Name, Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is being requested, your Signature and telephone number.
Vital Records request for voting purposes
An application for vital records for voting purposes is required along with 2 proofs of identification and 1 proof of voter registration.
- Acceptable proofs of identification and voter registration
- Application for vital records for voting purposes
Ammendments and Special Cases
Information and fees for Delayed Birth Certificates, Amendments of Birth Certificates, or Legitimations is available by calling (919) 245-2700 or (919) 245-2701.
Other Sources for Birth Certificates
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services also has a vital records division, which can provide birth certificates to qualified requestors.