Documents, also known as "instruments," recorded on or after July 1, 2002, must meet GS 161-14 (b) as follows:
- Be 8½ x 11 or 8½ x 14.
- Have at least a 3 inch blank margin at top of first page
- Have at least a 1/4 inch blank margin on sides and bottom of first page
- Have at least a 1/4 inch blank margin on all sides of subsequent pages.
- Black type on white paper.
- Font size no smaller than 10 points. (Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen and corrections to an instrument may be made in pen.)
- Only one-sided typed or printed text.
- Type of instrument at top of first page below blank margin.
Here is a template that ensures compliance to the above standards.
If instrument does not meet requirement outlined above, Registrar of Deeds shall register the instrument after collecting a $25.00 fee for non-standard documents as required by GS 161-10(a)(19). If an instrument fails to meet the requirement of font size (less than 10 points), but is determined by the Registrar to be legible, the Registrar of Deeds may record without collecting the non-standard fee charge.