The Register of Deeds office is the official grantor of marriage licenses for Orange County.
To obtain an marriage license, do the following:
- Come to the Register of Deeds Office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays)
- A Worksheet For Preparation of a Marriage License must be completed. You may print this worksheet, complete it, and bring it with you when you appear at the office, or fill out the form at the office.
- Bring valid ID (any of the following: Drivers License, State issued ID card or Passport.
- Bring a Social Security card, W-2 form, or payroll check stub with your complete Social Security Number on the check stub. NOTE: The name on the proof of social security must match the name on the ID exactly. If the individual has not been assigned a social security number, an Affidavit must be completed.
- Bring $60.00 in cash or money order. No other forms of payment are accepted.
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license, except as noted in special cases below
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license; however, one applicant must be present and may submit a completed Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance and Marriage License Questionnaire on the behalf of the other applicant. In addition to the affidavit, bring a copy of both applicant's ID's as noted above.
- Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of divorce and if divorce has been within thirty days prior to the marriage application, a copy of the divorce decree must be provided.
- If the applicants are under the age of eighteen, contact the office of the Register of Deeds, Vital Records Section (919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701) for requirements.
Obtaining A Copy of a Marriage License
- You may print out the Vital Records Request Form to complete and bring to our office. All fees must be paid in cash or money orders only.