The Register of Deeds office is the official grantor of marriage licenses for Orange County.
Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and are only valid for use in the state of North Carolina.
To obtain an marriage license, do the following:
- Come to the Register of Deeds Office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays)
- A Worksheet For Preparation of a Marriage License must be completed. You may print this worksheet, complete it, and bring it with you when you appear at the office, or fill out the form at the office.
- Bring valid ID (any of the following: Drivers License, State issued ID card or Passport.
- Bring a Social Security card, W-2 form, or payroll check stub with your complete Social Security Number on the check stub. NOTE: The name on the proof of social security must match the name on the ID exactly. If the individual has not been assigned a social security number, an Affidavit must be completed.
- The fee is $60.00, payable by Cash, Debit/Credit Card (*convenience fee will be applied; 2.5%, minimum $2.00), Money Order or Certified Bank Check.
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license, except as noted in special cases below
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license; however, one applicant must be present and may submit a completed Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance and Marriage License Questionnaire on the behalf of the other applicant. In addition to the affidavit, bring a copy of both applicant's ID's as noted above.
- Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of divorce and if divorce has been within thirty days prior to the marriage application, a copy of the divorce decree must be provided.
- If the applicants are under the age of eighteen, contact the office of the Register of Deeds, Vital Records Section (919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701) for requirements.
Marriage Certificates can be obtained in person at the Register of Deeds office or by mail.
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form (or complete the form at the Register of Deeds office).
The Register of Deeds Office is located at:
Gateway Center Building
228 South Churton Street 3rd floor
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Bring a VALID photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10.00 each & uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each - (CASH, Debit/Credit Card (*convenience fee will be applied; 2.5%, minimum $2.00), Money Order, Certified Bank Check or Business Check only). Money Orders, Certified Bank Checks, or Business Checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds”.
Mail In Requests:
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form.
- Attach a copy of a VALID photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10.00 each & uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each - ( Money Order, Certified Bank Check, or Business Check only). Money Orders, Certified Bank Checks, or Business Checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds”.
- Mail to:
Orange County Register of Deeds
PO Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Mail In requests are processed within 1-2 business days upon receipt.
If you are unable to print the Vital Records Request Form, please mail a letter of request including the following information, along with a copy of a VALID photo ID, and the fee.
- Letter of request must include: Full Name of both Applicants, Date of Marriage, Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is being requested, your Signature and telephone number.
Vital Records request for voting purposes
An application for vital records for voting purposes is required along with 2 proofs of identification and 1 proof of voter registration.
- Acceptable proofs of identification and voter registration
- Application for vital records for voting purposes