more news

Veterans Services

Request email notification when page changes Email me page updates

The Veterans Services Office (VSO) assists veterans and dependents in obtaining, retaining, or reinstating compensation, pension, medical, education, training, loan, insurance, burial, and other applicable benefits and services.

Eligibility Information:

Eligible applicants must:

  • Be a veteran of the United States Military

  • Meet other eligibility requirements that differ by program

Application Information:

Come to the Veterans Services Office located in Orange County


The Veterans Services Office helps administer a variety of programs.  An overview of services that the office can help obtain for veterans is printed below.

Disability Benefits -- Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation if a disability occurred as a result of your military service.  You can also apply for a disability pension if you are a wartime veteran and have limited income and cannot work.  Medicare requires that you apply for VA benefits first if you are eligible.

Dependent and Survivor Benefits -- For spouses, unmarried children under 18, and low income parents of service members:  Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) if the service member died on active duty or as a result of service-related disabilities (rated at 100% service connected for 10 years); Death Pensions; and, VA Civilian Health and Medical Programs.

Hospital and Medical Care -- Medical care from VA facilities, outpatient medical treatment, dental pharmacy and prosthetic care, care from nursing homes, domiciliary and home health care organizations.  Referrals for readjustment counseling and drug and alcohol treatment are made as appropriate.

Burial Benefits -- The VSO honors our nation's deceased veterans and assists family members in applying for headstones and markers for graves, burial flags, burial expenses reimbursement and Presidential Memorial Certificates.

Education and Training -- Educational benefits if you are in an approved training program.  You can use your Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP), Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance, Federal Employment and On-the-Job Training benefits to further your education.

Vocational Rehabilitation -- Service-disabled veterans may be eligible for VA-funded special retraining in order to obtain suitable employment (may include the costs of training, monthly living expenses, counseling, and related medical and dental treatments).

Home Loans -- Assistance with obtaining a VA guaranteed loan for a home, a manufactured home, a lot or a condominium.  Assistance is also available with building, repairing or improving a home (including special grants for adapting homes to accommodate special needs), and/or mortgage refinancing. Here is a link that provides a comprehensive consumer guide on housing and mortgages for veterans and active military

State of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs -- The state of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs provides scholarships for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA veterans.  NCDVA also offers employment hunting and fishing licenses, special auto license plates, certified records and other special programs.  The Orange County VSO is available to help access these resources and services.