Any candidate, referendum committee, or political action committee as defined in NCGS §163-278.6 must register the committee by filing the appropriate campaign organizational forms.
Required Treasurer Training
NCGS §163-278.7: Every treasurer of a political committee shall participate in training as to the duties of the office within three months of appointment, and at least every four years thereafter. Click here for a complete list of available mandatory training seminars.
For Further Information
For more campaign finance information, contact Bettye Blackwell Timberlake, by email, or by phone at: 919-245-2350.
You may also contact the Director of the Orange County Board of Elections by phone at: 919 245-2351 or by email at email@example.com.
Those persons filing Campaign Finance forms with the Orange County Board of Elections are candidates for:
- County Commissioners
- Clerk of Superior Court
- Register of Deeds
- Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisors
- Mayors and City/Town Council Members/Commissioner Members
- Board of Education Members
- Referenda committees and PACs influencing issues strictly within the confines of Orange County.
- All other candidates. PACS and Referenda committees file disclosure reports with the State Board of Elections.
- All Joint Fundraiser Committees must file financial Disclosure Reports, regardless of amounts spent or received. Candidate committees with intentions of spending and/or receiving $1000 or less will file a Certification of Threshold in lieu of Disclosure Reports.
The forms are varied, depending on what type of committee and the amount of committee expenditures and receipts. Most committees file a Statement of Organization, a Certification of Treasurer, a Certification of Financial Account Information, and periodic financial Disclosure Reports.
Forms are available on line here: Campaign Reporting Forms; or you may pick up forms at the Orange County Board of Elections office.
All campaign reports must be deliverd either by:
- manual delivery - Orange County Board of Elections, 208 S. Cameron Street, Hillsborough, or
- postal service - Orange County Board of Elections, PO Box 220, Hillsborough, NC 27278. (certified mail is strongly recommended)
Campaign Reporting Schedule for 2013 Election Year
Within 10 days of filing
Filed within 10 days of filing for office, or organizing a PAC or organizing a Referendum Committee; or within 10 days of starting to spend or receive money to run for office - if prior to filing for office.
|Mid Year Semi-Annual||07/26/2013||
Required from all registered committees NOT actively participating in the current year elections. Covers from January 1st through June 30th.
|35-Day Report||10/01/2013||Required from all registered committees actively participating in the current year elections. Covers from day after Organizational Report through September 24th.|
|Pre-Election Report||10/28/2013||Required from all registered committees actively participating in the current year elections. Covers from September 25th through October 21st.|
|Year End Semi-Annual||01/31/2014||
Required from all registered committees NOT actively participating in the current year elections. Covers from July 1st through December 31st.
Filed when all funds are disbursed, loans repaid or forgiven, and committee bank account closed.