Any candidate, referendum committee, or political action committee as defined in NCGS §163-278.6 must register the committee by filing the appropriate campaign organizational forms.
Campaign Reports for 2014-2015 - starts with First Quarter Reports due 4/28/2014
through 2013 year end/semi annual reports due January 31, 2014
Required Treasurer Training
NCGS §163-278.7: Every treasurer of a political committee shall participate in training as to the duties of the office within three months of appointment, and at least every four years thereafter. Click here for a complete list of available mandatory training seminars.
- Who must file campaign reports?
- What forms are to be filed?
- Where can these forms be obtained?
- How should these forms be filed?
- Deadline for filing
For Further Information
For more campaign finance information, contact Bettye Blackwell Timberlake, by email, or by phone at: 919-245-2350.
You may also contact the Director of the Orange County Board of Elections by phone at: 919 245-2351 or by email at email@example.com.
Those persons filing Campaign Finance forms with the Orange County Board of Elections are candidates for:
- County Commissioners
- Clerk of Superior Court
- Register of Deeds
- Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisors
- Mayors and City/Town Council Members/Commissioner Members
- Board of Education Members
- Referenda committees and PACs influencing issues strictly within the confines of Orange County.
- All other candidates. PACS and Referenda committees file disclosure reports with the State Board of Elections.
- All Joint Fundraiser Committees must file financial Disclosure Reports, regardless of amounts spent or received. Candidate committees with intentions of spending and/or receiving $1000 or less will file a Certification of Threshold in lieu of Disclosure Reports.
The forms are varied, depending on what type of committee and the amount of committee expenditures and receipts. Most committees file a Statement of Organization, a Certification of Treasurer, a Certification of Financial Account Information, and periodic financial Disclosure Reports.
Forms are available by clicking on the following: Campaign Reporting Forms; or you may pick up forms at the Orange County Board of Elections office.
All campaign reports must be deliverd either:
- in person - Orange County Board of Elections, 208 S. Cameron Street, Hillsborough, or
- by mail - Orange County Board of Elections, PO Box 220, Hillsborough, NC 27278. (certified mail is strongly recommended)
- All candidates required to file campaign reports with this office will be notified by mail 2 weeks (municipal candidates) to a month (all others) prior to the due date of the next report due.
Campaign Reporting Schedule for 2014 Election Year
Within 10 days of filing
Filed within 10 days of filing for office, organizing a PAC or organizing a Referendum Committee; or within 10 days of starting to spend or receive money to run for office - if prior to filing for office.
|First Quarter Plus||04/28/2014||
Required from all registered committees actively participating in the current year election. Covers from day after Organizational Report was filed through April 19th.
Required from all registered committees actively participating in the current year election. Covers from April 20th through June 30th.
|Mid Year/Semi Annual||07/25/2014||Required from all registered committees not actively participating in the current year elections that have not closed and are not formally in an "Inactive" status. Covers from January 1 through June 30th.|
|Third Quarter Plus||10/27/2014||
Required from all registered committees actively participating in the current year elections. Covers from July 1st through October 18th.
|Fourth Quarter||01/12/2015||Required from all registered committees actively participating in the current year elections. Covers from October 19th through December 31st.|
|Year-end Semi Annual||01/30/2015||Required from all registered committees not actively participating in the current year elections, that have not closed and are not formally in an "Inactive" status. Covers from last report filed through December 31st.|
Filed when all funds are disbursed, loans repaid or forgiven, and committee bank account closed.