for new registration or for updating information.
- Get Your Voting District Information
- Registration Requirements
- Pre-Registration Requirements
- Registration Deadline
- Registration Verified
- How to Change Your Party Affiliation
- Check Your Registration Status
- Places to Get Registration
- Spanish Information
To vote in Orange County, you must be:
- A U.S. Citizen
- A Resident of North Carolina and this county for 30 days before the election
- At least 18 years of age on or before the next general election
- Not registered and not voting in any other county or state
- If convicted of a felony, your rights of citizenship have been restored
- If you move out of your precinct, but remain within Orange County, you should notify the board office in writing of your new address.
- A U.S. Citizen who is at least 16 years of age may Pre-Register using the North Carolina Voter Registration Application.
- Applicants who are 17 but who will be 18 on or before the next general or regular municipal election will be processed no earlier than 60 days prior to any partisan or non-partisan primary election. One must be 17 1/2 to vote in a partisan primary election. 17 1/2 year olds may not vote in school board or referendum elections.
- An applicant who is too young to be processed as a voter at the time the application is submitted will receive a letter acknowledging that the Board of Elections has received the application. The application will be retained in a queue until applicant is of age for the application to be processed through the voter registration database.
- If an applicant under the age of 16 submits a pre-registration application it will be denied and the applicant will be sent a denial letter.
Registration application forms must be either
postmarked or received by the Board of Elections no later than 25 days before the election in which you wish to vote.
After a voter application/update has been processed, a voter verification card will be mailed to the voter indicating their correct precinct and polling place location.
If you wish to change your party affiliation, you must complete either a Voter Registration Application Form (downloaded from address above) or complete the reverse side of a Voter Verification Card that has been mailed to you, and return it to the Board of Elections. All changes must be either postmarked or received in the Board of Elections office at least 25 days before the election.
- Board of Elections Office - 208 S. Cameron Street, Hillsborough
- Carrboro Town Hall - W. Main St. Carrboro
- Carrboro Cybrary, Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St, Carrboro
- Chapel Hill Town Hall - North Columbia Street, Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill Public Library - 100 Library Dr, Chapel Hilll
- Davis Library, UNC-CH Campus
- Orange County Public Library - 137 W. Margaret Ln, Hillsborough
- McDougle School Library, Old Fayetteville Rd., Carrboro
- Persons having business with the N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles may register to vote with the DMV
Mail Forms to:
Orange County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 220
Hillsborough, N.C. 27278
Cuando usted ha llenado el formulario, envíelo por favor a: Orange County Board of Elections, P.O. Box 220, Hillsborough, N.C. 27278