What is Diabetes Self-Management Education?
Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) is a critical component of diabetes care where self-management behavior is the key outcome. It has a client-centered Approach which allows the person with diabetes to lead the decision making process and initiate self-care. Research shows that people with diabetes who take a DSME program have improved diabetes knowledge and self-care behavior, as well blood glucose numbers, weight loss, and overall quality of life.
About the Orange County DSME Program
The Orange County DSME Program is run under the guidelines of the NC Diabetes Education Recognition Program at the NC Dept of Public Health and is recognized by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) as meeting the national standards for diabetes self-management education.
- A one hour initial health assessment
- Two 4-hours of group education on the basics of diabetes care (8-hours group).
- Class topics include living with diabetes, monitoring, nutrition, medication management, exercise, managing acute situations, and complication prevention.
- Lunch and incentives are provided to help clients with the behavior change process.
- The final hour is a group follow-up appointment 3 months after the group class.
- Participants may also be eligible for Medical Nutrition Therapy appointments and follow-up support opportunities to help with continuing lifestyle changes.
Availability of Services
The DSME Program is available to all Orange County adult residents and Orange County Government employees (and their immediate family members) with diabetes.
Fees are charged on a sliding scale and may be covered by insurance. The health department currently accepts BCBSNC, Cigna, United Healthcare, Medicare, and Medicaid. Other insurances may also cover DSME. We are happy to check with other health insurance companies regarding coverage.
Making a DSME Referral
Medical providers who want to make a referral should complete and fax the form below.
- Referral Form and Instructions
- Chapel Hill Fax: 919-968-2013
- Hillsborough Fax: 919-644-3312
Radio PSA | Download
Other News and Links:
- Diabetes Prevention and Control Web Page (Orange County)
- National Nutrition Month 2013
- American Diabetes Association
For more information contact:
Renée Kemske, MPH, RD, LDN
Nutrition Program Manager