Healthier Eating for a Healthier Lifestyle
Proper nutrition is an important component of overall good health. The Orange County Health Department offers nutrition counseling (Medical Nutrition Therapy) to help you prevent or manage certain medical conditions. Meet with a Registered Dietitian to develop a personalized plan to help you prevent or better manage medical conditions or simply to improve the way you feel.
Availability of Services
Nutrition Counseling (Medical Nutrition Therapy) is available to anyone including:
- Orange County residents
- clients enrolled in clinic programs
- Orange County employees/immediate family members
- out-of-County residents (Note: All out-of-County residents who are self-pay will be assessed at 100% pay on the sliding fee scale.)
Fees are charged on a sliding scale ($20 minimum fee) and may be covered by insurance. The health department currently accepts BCBSNC, Cigna, United Healthcare, Medicare and Medicaid, other insurances may also cover MNT. We are happy to check with other health insurance companies regarding coverage.
Medical Nutrition Therapy is available for many issues including:
Program Flyer and Fact Sheets
- Orange County MNT Services Flyer - English
- Orange County MNT Services Flyer - Spanish
- About Medical Nutrition Therapy and Registered Dietitians
- Top Ten Reasons to Consult a Registered Dietitian
Making a Nutrition Referral
Medical providers who want to make a referral should complete and fax the form below.
- Referral Form
- Referral Form Instructions
- Chapel Hill Fax: 919-968-2013
- Hillsborough Fax: 919-644-3312
Diabetes Self-Management Education Program (DSME)
Orange County offers Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) to help people with diabetes better manage their disease and prevent complications. Visit the DSME page to learn more about the program and how to join.
The health department collaborates with local organizations, community groups, and healthcare providers to provide nutrition-related programs, classes, and also to serve on coalitions and task forces related to nutrition, wellness and chronic disease.
- National Nutrition Month
- Diabetes Prevention and Control
- Healthy Carolinians of Orange County
- Eat Smart Move More
- Additional Nutrition Resources
For More Information Contact:
Renée Kemske, MPH, RD, LDN
Registered Dietitian/Nutrition Program Manager
Fax: 919-968-2013 (Chapel Hill) or 919-644-3312 (Hillsborough)