Smoke-Free Public Places
Orange County's Public Places are Smoke-Free
Effective January 1, 2013
Watch our Commercial (click image)
About the Orange County Smoke-Free Public Places Rule
- Philosophy statement - Developed by the Enforcement Workgroup made up of members of the law enforcement community and public health
- Frequently Asked Questions about enforcement
Compliance Issues Complaint Form
- You may file a complaint with the Orange County Health Department if you have observed a violation of the Smoke-Free Public Places Rule.
Smoke-Free OC Help Line (919) 245-2480
Smoking Cessation Resources
- Orange County Smoking Cessation Resource Guide
- FREE - Nicotine Replacement Therapy
- NC Quitline - Quitline provides free cessation services to any N.C. resident who needs help quitting tobacco use.
- The American Cancer Society's Guide to Quit Smoking - Information on everything from the reasons to quit smoking, to social acceptance issues, to tips and strategies.
Information on the Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke
- American Cancer Society
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Surgeon General's Report on the Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke (2006)
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Be Tobacco Free
The 2010 NC Smoke-free Restaurants and Bars Law (N.C. Gen. Stat. 130A-498) allows local governments to adopt and enforce smoke-free ordinances that are broader than State law in local government buildings, on local government grounds, in local vehicles, or in public places.
As a part of its 2012-2014 strategic plan the Orange County Board of Health reviewed existing County smoke-free policies, solicited public input, deliberated on the issue, and subsequently voted to approve the new rule that expands jurisdiction to be more comprehensive of public places.
Public Input Period (September 27, 2012 - October 24, 2012)
The public was invited to share their thoughts on the proposed Rule in five ways: An online survey, e-mail, telephone comment line, U.S. Mail, and Public Hearing.
Public Input Survey
Related Press Releases
- Orange County Promotes Smoking Cessation and Supportive Environments During the Great American Smokeout and Throughout the Year (Release Date: 11-21-13)
- Orange County Implements First Phase: Smoke-Free Public Places Rule (Release Date: 1-1-13)
- Orange County Board of County Commissioners Adopts Smoke-Free Public Places Rule (Release Date: 11-21-12)
- Orange County Board of Health Approves Smoke-Free Public Places Rule (Release Date: 10-25-12)
Board of Health Seeks Public Input on Proposed Smoke-Free Rule (Release Date: 9-27-12)
Orange County Board of Health Proposes Rule to Make Public Places Smoke-Free (Release Date: 9-20-12)