Borrowing Books and Other Materials
Get a Card | Borrow Materials | Fines & Fees | Circulation Policy
The Orange County Public Library lends books, audio books, movies, music CDs and magazines. An Orange County library card must be presented in order to borrow materials.
|Books, CDs, magazines & audio books||21 days|
|Carrboro Branch Library materials||14 days|
|Carrboro Branch Library movies||7 days|
You can check out up to 40 items on a card at any given time.
Within this limit you can have:
- 5 DVDs
- 5 video games
- There may be additional limits at the Carrboro Branch. Please inquire.
Most borrowed items can be renewed up to two times, unless the item has been requested by another customer.
You can renew items:
- in person at any library location,
- by calling any library location during business hours (a library card number is required to renew materials over the phone),
- through Your Account online (OCPL Main Library or Cybrary customers), or
- through Your Carrboro Branch Account online (OCPL Carrboro Branch customers)
Customers can request to have materials held. When the materials become available, the library will contact you by email or telephone and hold requested materials for 7 days.
Holds may be placed on items that are currently available on the library shelf; however, library materials are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The library cannot guarantee that these holds will be immediately filled. Customers will be notified by email or automated phone call when their hold is available and ready for pickup.
Requests can be placed:
- through the online catalog (OCPL Main Library or Cybrary customers)
- through the Carrboro Branch Library catalog (OCPL Carrboro Branch customers)
- in person at any library location.
Interlibrary Loan and Purchase Requests
If you would like to borrow a book not owned by Orange County Public Library, you can place an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request to borrow books from libraries outside our system. ILL requests may be placed in person at any Orange County Public Library location, and a processing fee of $3 must be paid at the time the request is placed.
You can also complete the Suggest a Purchase Form to make suggestions for us to purchase materials we don’t currently have in our collection.