The Main Library offers approximately eighty literacy bags on a variety of themes.
Literacy Bags contain 5 or 10 books on a specific theme, but count as only one item at checkout. Parents, daycares, civic groups or school teachers who want to teach children about a specific topic can quickly check out a literacy bag on that particular theme.
You can view a complete list of Literacy Bag Themes. Literacy bags fall into the following general categories:
- Bilingual Literacy Bags, which contain books in both English and Spanish
- Common Core Literacy Bags, which expand on school curriculum topics for kindergarten through 5th grades
- Graphic Novel/Comics Literacy Bags, which can improve reading skills, vocabulary and creative thinking
- Juvenile Fiction Literacy Bags, which contain chapter books
- Juvenile Non-Fiction Literacy Bags, which mostly contain books with factual information
- Picture Book Literacy Bags, which contain mostly picture books
- Reader Literacy Bags, which contain books for the earliest readers, as well as those ready for simple chapter books
The loan period for literacy bags is three weeks. One renewal is allowed, unless a request has been placed for that particular bag.
You can search for literacy bags in the library catalog by entering “literacy bag”.
For more information, please stop by the Orange County Main Library Youth Services Desk or call (919) 245-2532.