Revised August 2009
- Any resident of Orange, Caswell, and Person Counties or a non-resident taxpaying property owner is eligible to register for borrowing privileges at Orange County Public Library.
- To register, a resident must show a photo ID (NC driver’s license is preferred) bearing his or her current address.
- If the identification does not bear the current local address, a piece of mail postmarked within the last 30 days (e.g. utility bill), an electronic statement or an official document must also be shown to verify county residency.
- If the patron is new in the county and has an out-of-state driver’s license, he or she will need to show both a photo ID and proof of a local address (see above).
- Non-residents who own property or a business and pay property taxes in Orange County must show a photo ID and a current property tax bill.
- If the patron does not have a permanent address, he or she will need to supply a letter from the shelter or group home, and show a photo ID.
- Children (0-15 years) may have their own cards provided that proof of residency is established. Young adults age 16 & up may get a card if they have valid photo ID and proof of address. Parents and legal guardians are responsible for materials.
- Families are encouraged to register all family members who will be using the library. The Library prefers that each patron use his or her own card to check out library materials.
- People who reside outside of Orange County may purchase borrowing privileges for an annual fee of $25. The card will be good for one year from the date of payment.
- Employees of Orange County government (including teachers in the local public schools) may receive a card for free regardless of their county of residence upon presentation of proof of employment (e.g. county ID). Non resident teachers and students at Orange County charter and private elementary and secondary schools will be eligible for a card free of charge.
Policy approved by Hyconeechee Library Board on September 9, 2009.