Orange County Department on Aging to host Brain Health Academy
ORANGE COUNTY, NC (March 13, 2018) — The Orange County Department on Aging presents the Brain Health Academy, a six-week educational and interactive series on maximizing brain health through a healthy lifestyle.
The Academy will take place at the Passmore Center in Hillsborough from 6-8 p.m. every Thursday evening from April 5 until May 10. Experts will share practical information and up-to-date research at each session.
The program is free to attend, but space is limited, so participants must register by Thursday, March 22.
Curriculum Details and Schedule:
April 5: Kick–off Event – Keynote Speaker: Dr. Kahli Zietlow, Geriatrics Fellow, Duke University Hospital
April 12: Module I - Nutrition for a Healthy Brain & Body
- Focus: Eating for brain health – what is good for the body is good for the brain. As we age, whether in our 40s or 80s, our brains and bodies require certain nutrients for optimal functioning.
April 19: Module II - Managing Life’s Transitions: Stress Reduction Systems
- Focus: The importance of adopting a stress management system to support inevitable life transitions.
April 26: Module III – Exercise Your Best Brain
- Focus: The importance of physical activity (cardio and strength training) for optimal brain health.
May 3: Module IV – Part A: Social Engagement & Cognitive Health
- Focus: People live longer and happier lives when they are engaged in, and connected to, something that gives them meaning and purpose, such as regular volunteering.
Part B: Maximizing Cognition through music & dance
- Focus: How music and dance affects the health of the brain
May 10: Please note due to the closure of the series, tonight will last until 8:30 pm.
Module V- Part A: Healthy Hearing Stimulates the Brain through Language Communications
- Focus: Types of hearing complications: What assistive devices and techniques are available and how hearing connects to the brain.
Part B: Medication Management
- Focus: How Medication Management affects the Brain
Call to Action – What’s Next?
Please note that the order of sessions is subject to change. Participants will be able to document learning with a Passport to Brain Health. Participants will receive a stamp at each week’s presentation and submit the completed passport for a chance to win dinner and movie tickets for two.
Sessions will be facilitated by Department on Aging staff members and outside experts.
Light dinner refreshments will be available.
The Passmore Center is located at 103 Meadowlands Drive in Hillsborough.
For more information and to register, call the Passmore Center at 919-245-2015.