Opening time for emergency shelters pushed back to 6 p.m.
El horario de apertura de los refugios de emergencia es a las 6 p.m.
ORANGE COUNTY (Sept. 12) -- To avoid interfering with school activities and creating traffic congestion, the opening time for two Emergency Shelters to help residents who may be displaced by Hurricane Florence has been pushed back to Wednesday at 6 p.m. (not 4 p.m., as originally planned). Shelters will be open to the public at the following locations:
- Smith Middle School (9201 Seawell School Rd, Chapel Hill)
- CW Stanford Middle School (308 Orange High School Rd, Hillsborough)
Identification is not required to enter a shelter, but it is encouraged as a best practice.
Chapel Hill Transit will operate shuttles from Downtown Chapel Hill Franklin Street at Varsity Theater (#3428) and Columbia at Rosemary (#3383) bus stops to the Emergency Shelter at Smith Middle School from 6 to 10 p.m. on Wednesday.
Please keep in mind the following considerations for staying at a shelter.
- Shelters will have food or water, but will not have easy access to medications or many other personal needs.
- If you have special dietary needs, you will need to provide your own food. Bring at least three days' worth of non-perishable food.
- Bring all regularly taken medications
- Insurance information
- Comfortable Clothing
- Personal radios - with headphones
- Games , reading material or other things to pass the time - especially for children
- Specialty items for your needs
- DO NOT bring weapons, illegal drugs, candles or valuables
- Smoking IS NOT allowed inside the shelter
- Service animals for the hearing and visually impaired will be allowed in the shelter.
- Pets are also allowed. A rabies vaccination for dogs, cats, and ferrets is required. Please bring your pet’s full vaccination record and a photo of yourself with your pet. If possible, please also bring a 3-day supply of your pet’s food.
- Not allowed: livestock, wildlife, amphibians, reptiles, fish, spiders, or large domesticated birds.
- Animal Services Staff will be on hand to board pets in the best manner possible