Orange County Board of County Commissioners’
Communications and Information Technology Planning Retreat
February 10, 2012
9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Southern Human Services Center
2501 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill
Purpose: To agree on Orange County’s priority investments in Communications and Information Technology.
9-10AM Setting the Stage
· Welcome and Introductions
· Purpose of the Day
· Report from Staff: Fiscal Health of the County
· Commissioners’ Expectations for the Day
10-10:45AM Communications Planning
· Review 1999 Communications Plan
· Group Brainstorm:
o What tools and resources does Orange County currently have in place to help residents understand what the County does and how to access County resources?
o What new or enhanced tools and resources would you like for Orange County to have in place to help residents understand what the County does and how to access County resources?
11AM-12:30PM Communications Prioritization
· What financial resources is Orange County currently investing in communications? (Presentation from staff)
· Of the brainstormed current and new/enhanced items, what are your top seven priorities?
· Further clarification of top priorities—define what we mean
· Of the clarified priorities, what are the three things you would like for Orange County to invest in?
1:15-3:15PM Information Technology Planning
· Review of Current IT Expenditures (Capital and Operating)
· Presentation of IT Project Requests
o Commissioners’ Requests (per interviews)
o Departmental Requests (per interviews)
· Priority Setting Discussion for IT Project Requests