The Comprehensive Planning Division is responsible for the County's long range planning
efforts including the administration and implementation of the Land Use Element of the Comprehensive Plan. This plan intends to guide the County's future growth and land use patterns in a manner that enhances and protects the economic, environmental, and human resources that characterize Orange County. The Division also participates in the administration and implementation of other Comprehensive Plan Elements as required.
A major component of the Land Use Element is the Future Land Use Map. The map illustrates land use categories within the County including transition areas, rural buffer, economic development districts, activity nodes, and agricultural-residential uses.
The Comprehensive Planning Division provides staff support to other departments, agencies, and committees within the County and the surrounding regions, including the following:
- Orange County Current Planning
- Orange County Planning Board
- Orange County Board of County Commissioners
- Chapel Hill Planning Department
- Carrboro Planning Department
- Hillsborough Planning Department
- Triangle J Council of Governments
- Department of Environment, Agriculture, Parks & Recreation
For more information, contact the Comprehensive Planning Division, (919) 245-2575.