North Carolina 2040 Plan
The N.C. Board of Transportation adopted an updated long-range transportation plan to help guide the state’s future transportation investments. Called the 2040 Plan, the document provides a 30-year transportation blueprint for the state.
While not project specific, the 2040 Plan stipulates that the N.C. Department of Transportation’s highest priorities are ensuring safety, preserving existing transportation systems, and focusing on services and facilities with statewide significance. The plan further calls for the state to invest in initiatives that promote economic opportunities and allow increased flexibility at the local level.
This comprehensive two-year effort included identifying statewide transportation systems’ resources and needs and working with local governments to identify local transportation needs, all to ensure that North Carolina’s transportation systems remain safe and are less congested and freight keeps moving to enhance the state’s economy. Estimating funding availability over the next 30 years, as well as potential funding sources to help meet the state’s needs, were also part of the 2040 Plan.
The 2040 Plan was prepared by combining technical analysis and public outreach. Detailed information about technical activities that took place during the development of the 2040 Plan can be found in the following reports:
Triangle Area Rural Planning Organization (TARPO) Locally Coordinated Human Service Transportation Plan - Adopted by Chatham, Lee, Moore and Orange Counties to address coordination of human service public transportation throughout rural areas of the Triangle region
- Draft 2014-2020 State Transportation Improvement Program for Orange County
- Program Draft 2012-2018 Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Transportation Improvement
A full listing of projects can be found on NCDOT’s website. http://www.ncdot.gov/
Follow this link to a project information lookup tool for the TARPO area:
- Status of Current NCDOT Construction Projects
- Bicycle Transportation Plan
- Bicycle Transportation Plan Map
- Final Draft Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Plan (large file)
- Orange County Bus and Rail Investment Plan (BRIP)
- Petitioning for Road Addition to the State Maintaing System in Orange County
- Bicycling Orange County brochure with map
- 2040 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) and Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP)
- On September 5, 2013 the Orange County Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP) Maps were adopted by the NC Department of Transportation (NC DOT) The adopted maps and CTP report can be viewed on the NCDOT Transportation Planning Branch's website - Click Here
- Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP) Public Survey Results
- NCDOT Subdivision Roads Minimum Construction Standards
Related Web Links:
- Orange Unified Transportation Board (OUTBoard)
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Chapel Hill Transit (CHT)
- Orange Public Transportation (OPT)
- Triangle Transit Authority (TTA)
- Triangle Area Rural Planning Organization (TARPO)
- Burlington Graham Metropolitan Planning Organization (BGMPO)
NCDOT maintains a Construction Progress Report with the current status of majorconstruction projects across North Carolina. Information about Orange County road closures and other activities affecting travel is available through NCDOT’s Traveler Information Management System (TIMS).
NCDOT produces a variety of maps and publications, including the annual State Transportation Map, available free of charge.
- NCDOT Safe Routes to School Program
- Regional Wayfinding
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Project