The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) provides for a one-time cash payment to help eligible families pay their heating bills. This payment is usually received in February of each year.
Eligible applicants must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria
- Meet an income test
- Have reserves at or below $2,200
- Be responsible for its heating bills
- Clients certified for Food Stamps on September 30th of each year are automatically eligible for LIEAP assistance. Others may apply during a specific period in November of each year. Energy checks are issued the first week of February each year.
This is just a guide. An eligibility worker at the Department of Social Services will assess your individual situation and inform you of your eligibility status.
Applications for LIEAP are usually taken for two weeks in November of each year. Contact the Orange County Department of Social Services for the application dates and for additional information on LIEAP.
Bringing the following items will aid in the process of applications:
- Social Security Card or number
- Proof of Residence - (Lease, rent or mortgage receipts, Utility Bill)
- Proof of Income - (Pay stubs, SSI, Social Security, Work First, Pensions or Other)
- Bank Accounts - (Recent bank statements and or passbooks, etc.)
- Utility Bills - (Gas, Electric, Phone, Water, and Sewer, etc.)
- Tax Bill/Insurance - If Homeowner