Work First is North Carolinas TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) plan to help families move off of welfare and into jobs. To help families, Work First provides employment services; supportive services and time limited cash assistance to families with children under age 18 who meet income and resources guidelines.
Eligible applicants must:
- Have a child in the home under the age of 18
- Be a U.S. Citizen or qualified alien
- Live in North Carolina and have a social security number or have applied for one
- Have income that meets program requirements
- Have less than $2000 in reserves
This is just a guide. An eligibility worker at the Department of Social Services will assess your individual situation and inform you of your eligibility status.
Applications are taken by Income Maintenance workers at both of the Orange County Department of Social Services buildings on a first-come first-serve basis.
Bringing the following items will aid in the process of applications:
- Identification, including birth certificates or other proof of age for children
- Social Security Cards or numbers for all members of household (Including children)
- Proof of Residence - (Lease, rent or mortgage receipts, Utility Bill)
- Proof of Income - (Pay stubs, SSI, Social Security, Work First, Pensions or Other)
- Bank Accounts - (Recent bank statements and or passbooks, etc.)
- Utility Bills - (Gas, Electric, Phone, Water, and Sewer, etc.)
- Tax Bill/Insurance - If Homeowner
- If Elderly/Disabled - (Unpaid medical bills, Prescriptions, Health and Hospital Insurance)
- Name and phone number of at least 1 person who can verify who lives with you
- Proof of Child Care Costs - (If employed or in school full time)