Rural Curbside (Every Other Week)
Rural Curbside Recycling Collection is collected every other week on a regular schedule in 100% of the unincorporated areas of Orange County, North Carolina. Please visit the Rural Recycling Routes page to find out your pickup days.
2020-2021 Rural Route Schedule Cards have been mailed.
If you believe you have received a card with the wrong route or have any questions please call us at your earliest convenience at (919)968-2788.
- Cart Set-out Guide (PDF) to help ensure proper cart collection
- List of Materials Collected at the Curb
- Listen to the Commingle Jingle by Tim Smith and the Recyclettes (Turn on your speakers!)
- Special Collection Form for Disabled Customers (PDF)
Bins & Carts
Residents in the unincorporated portion of Orange County can choose either one 95-gallon wheeled cart or two 18-gallon orange bins for their every other week collection:
Recycling location or other factors may influence your choice of using a cart or using bins. If you choose a cart, however, use only your cart. Collection staff will not collect both bins and carts from a single household.
- Bin dimensions are 14 inches high, 24 inches wide and 18 inches deep.
- Cart dimensions are 45 inches high, 29 inches wide and 34 inches deep.
Call 919-968-2788 or email our office to get on our delivery list. Please allow up to 2 weeks for delivery. We only deliver recycling containers to households that request them.
If you prefer 18-gallon orange bins for your every-other-week curbside collection, request a delivery, or pick them up Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the:
Solid Waste Management Department Administration Office
1207 Eubanks Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Each household can receive two bins at no charge. Replacement for lost or damaged bins are available at no cost. Additional bins may be purchased for $7 from our office. If you do not have a recycling cart, you may use other rigid plastic containers similar in size and shape to the orange curbside recycling bins such as a laundry basket or a milk crate
Contact our office if your cart is missing or it needs a repair. Cart replacement costs $60, however there is no charge for a one time replacement if the loss or damage is through no fault of the household. If resident would like to lease an additional cart they may do so for an annual fee of $60.
If you would like a calendar card with your schedule mailed to you, email recycling and we will send you one.
- Cart lid should close completely to prevent wind-blown debris. Do not bungee cart lid closed.
- Carts should be set out along the street edge with the cart opening facing the street, and nothing blocking the cart, or on top that could prevent access.
- Do not use a plastic bag, garbage can, or cardboard box to set out your recyclables.
- Don’t try to recycle plastic bags at the curb. Recycle plastic bags at grocery stores instead.
- Have your recycling out by 7 a.m. on your collection day, and remove your cart or bins from the curb within 24 hours after it is picked up. If your recycling was out by 7 a.m. on your collection day but was not collected, please call our office by the next business day so we can get to that issue right away: 919-968-2788
- Leave items loose in your cart. Never place recyclables bagged up inside your cart or bins.
- Never place plastic bags, Styrofoam, food or other garbage in your curbside collection.
It is not mandatory to use curbside recycling even though it is available to you. It is Orange County's goal to encourage recycling County-wide. There is no additional charge for curbside recycling service. It and other solid waste and recycling services are funded by the Solid Waste Programs Fee.
Use your curbside recycling bins and carts for bottles, cans, jars, jugs, tubs, and all paper, all together in a single stream.