Get a Card from the Orange County Public Library, NC 

Apply online for a Temporary Library Card

Orange County Public Library, NC Offers Free Library Cards

To get your borrower’s card, come to one of our three locations in Hillsborough of Carrboro. You will need to complete a brief registration form and provide proof of your current address. A driver’s license, lease, or bill will work.

Regular Library Cards

If you are a resident of one of the following counties in North Carolina, you may get a free library card at the Orange County Public Library:

  • Alamance
  • Caswell
  • Chatham
  • Durham
  • Orange
  • Person

    Live Elsewhere? 
    You may also get a free library card at the Orange County Public Library if you are work at: 
    • Chapel-Hill Carrboro City Schools -- You qualify for an Educator Account*
    • Durham Tech
    • Orange County Government
    • Orange County Schools - -- You qualify for an Educator Account*
    • Town of Carrboro
    • Town of Hillsborough
    • UNC-Health Care and UNC-Chapel Hill

Educator Accounts

An Educator Account allows teachers and staff at our local school systems and independent schools to check out items without the worry about late fees for overdue items. Read more about Educator Accounts.  

  • Day Care, Pre-School and Home School Teachers
    Provide proof of current employment with a local school organization and we will switch your regular borrower’s card to an Educator Account. 

SEA (Student Easy Access) Accounts

The library works with local schools to provide no-fine accounts for school-aged children in Orange County. Read more about SEA Accounts.

Computer Use Card: No ID Required

With a computer use card, you may use one of our public computers at the Cybrary in Carrboro or the Main Library in Hillsborough and our online resources. Just visit a service desk and we will assist you.


Forgotten & Lost Cards

If you forget your library card, you can still borrow books and more, if your library account is in good standing and you have a photo ID with you. Lost cards can be replaced for $1.

No Proof of Residency

If you are unable to provide proof of residency in Orange County, alternate arrangements may be made at the discretion of the Circulation Supervisor or Branch Manager.


Visitors from beyond the "free card area" who do not work with one of the above employers, can pay an annual fee ($25) for a borrower’s card. A photo ID is required.

Circulation Policy, Fines & Fees

Circulation Policy | Fines and Fees.