Submit your tax information as early as February 3
Who Can Use This Service? You must have an email address and a smart phone with internet access. Your gross income should be less than $66,000 for a single person and $90,000 for a household. Only Federal and NC State returns will be prepared. Some tax situations cannot be handled by our VITA Volunteers. Review this Eligibility Checklist to ensure we can prepare your taxes.
How Does It Work? We have partnered with GetYourRefund.Org to provide a safe and convenient way for you to send us your tax information electronically. It’s fast and easy! If you can post a picture to Facebook, you can use this service.
- Go to www.GetYourRefund.org/OrangeNC, and follow the instructions to answer questions about you and your family, snap photos of your tax documents and upload them with the click of a button.
- Our volunteer tax preparers, who are certified by the IRS, will review your documents and call you to verify we have everything needed before beginning your return.
- The preparer will complete your return and it will be reviewed by a second preparer to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- You’ll receive an electronic copy of the return and review the results with us over the phone.
- You’ll electronically sign a form authorizing us to e-file the return.
- If you need a paper copy of the return, you’ll be able to pick it up at the Seymour Center or the Passmore Center during designated hours.
How Long Does It Take? Most returns will be completed within 1 week.
How Is My Private Information Kept Secure? Your data is stored in an encrypted database protected from external networks and accessed by our preparers through secure passwords with two-factor authentication. You’ll have the opportunity to review the Privacy Policies before uploading any data.
How Do I Get Started? Check this list of Common Tax Documents to be sure you have everything you need. Read the 5 "Quick Tips" below to help you get started on your way. Then click the GET STARTED Button below to register and provide your information. We’ll take it from there and keep you up to date on the progress of your return.
PLEASE NOTE: You can begin the Virtual VITA process anytime between February 3 and April 3. You must complete your initial phone call with a preparer by April 7 in order to ensure that your return will be filed by the April 15 deadline.