Birth and Death Certificates
The Register of Deeds office is the official steward of birth and death records for Orange County. The Orange County Register of deeds only has records for persons born or pronounced deceased in Orange County.
****As of 30 March 2021 until further notice all walk up service for Vital Records transactions will be made in cash with exact change.****
Obtaining a Birth or Death Certificate Copy
Get Certificate Now: request and pay for Birth, & Death certificates online
- Authorized People
- In Person
- Mail In Requests
- Letter of Request
- Vital Records Request
- Amendments & Special Cases
Mail In Requests
- Attach a copy of a valid photo identification (Driver’s License, State issued identification card, or Passport).
- Spanish Birth Record Request Form (PDF)
- Vital Records Request Form (PDF)
- We require a self addressed stamped envelope for all mail in requests.
Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each ( Money Order, Certified Bank Check, or Business Check only). Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
Orange County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Mail In requests are processed within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt.
Letter of Request
If you are unable to print the Vital Records Request Form, please mail a letter of request including the following information, along with a copy of a valid photo identification, and the fee.
Letter of request must include:
- Date of birth or death
- Father’s full name (birth certificate only)
- Full name on birth or death certificate
- Mother’s full (maiden) name (birth certificate only)
- Your relationship to the person whose certificate is being requested
- Your signature and telephone number
Vital Records Request
Vital Records request for voting purposes
An application for vital records for voting purposes is required along with 2 proofs of identification and 1 proof of voter registration.
Amendments & Special Cases
Information and fees for Delayed Birth Certificates, Amendments of Birth Certificates, or Legitimations is available by calling 919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701.
Other Sources for Birth and Death Certificates
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services also has a vital records division, which can provide birth certificates to qualified requestors.