Marriage Licenses and Certificates
**** Beginning May 11, 2020 the Register of Deeds office will be accepting a limited number of appointments for marriage licensing. Please call 919-245-2700 to set up an appt. ****
The Register of Deeds office is the official grantor of marriage licenses for Orange County.
Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and are only valid for use in the state of North Carolina.
Obtaining a Marriage License
To obtain a marriage license, do the following:
- If you wish to complete a marriage license application online click here
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license, except as noted in special cases below
- Bring a Social Security Number for each applicant. If an individual has not been assigned a social security number, an Affidavit (PDF) must be completed.
- Bring valid ID (any of the following: Drivers License, State issued ID card or Passport.
- Come to the Register of Deeds Office between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays)
- The fee is $60, payable by cash, debit/credit card, money order or certified bank check.
- A Worksheet For Preparation of a Marriage License (PDF) must be completed. You may print this worksheet, complete it, and bring it with you when you appear at the office, or fill out the form at the office.
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making an application for a marriage license; However, if one party is unable to appear due to hardship then he or she may submit an Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance (PDF) and Marriage License Questionnaire (PDF). (Unable means other party is incarcerated, hospitalized, or on active duty in service.) Call and ask for Details of Proof. Unfortunately not being able to get off of work is an unacceptable reason.
- Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of divorce and if divorce has been within thirty days prior to the marriage application, a copy of the divorce decree must be provided.
- If the applicants are under the age of eighteen, contact the office of the Register of Deeds, Vital Records Section 919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701) for requirements.
Marriage Certificates can be obtained in person at the Register of Deeds office or by mail.
Get Certificate Now: request and pay for Birth, Death or Marriage certificates online click here
- Print and complete the Vital Records Request Form (PDF) (or complete the form at the Register of Deeds office).
- Onsite Kiosk is also available for Vital Records Requests
The Register of Deeds Office is located at:
Gateway Center Building
228 S Churton Street
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Bring a valid photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
- Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each (cash, debit/credit card, money order, certified bank check or business check only). Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
Mail In Requests
- Vital Records Request Form (PDF)
- Attach a copy of a valid photo ID (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, or Passport).
We require a self addressed stamped envelope for all mail in requests.
- Certified copies are $10 each and uncertified copies are 0.15¢ each ( money order, certified bank check, or business check only). Money orders, certified bank checks, or business checks made payable to: “Orange County Register of Deeds.”
- Mail to:
Orange County Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Mail In requests are processed within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt.
If you are unable to print the Vital Records Request Form, please mail a letter of request including the following information, along with a copy of a VALID photo ID, and the fee.
- Letter of request must include:
- Date of Marriage
- Full Name of both Applicants
- Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is being requested
- Your Signature and telephone number
Vital Records Request for Voting Purposes
An application for vital records for voting purposes is required along with 2 proofs of identification and 1 proof of voter registration.