Tax Payment Options
You can pay your County taxes using the options outlined on this page.
Cash, Check or Money Order
- Accepted at both Hillsborough & Chapel Hill locations
- Mail checks to:
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- A $25 will be charged for any checks returned due to insufficient funds
- Make checks payable to: Orange County Tax Collector
Pay with Credit or Debit Card
- We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover cards.
- Orange County has partnered with Point & Pay LLC to offer credit and debit card payment solutions to its taxpayers. A convenience fee will be associated all credit or debit card transactions. This convenience fee is paid to and retained by Point and Pay LLC for the use of its automated service and Orange County does not receive any portion of the convenience fee.
- This fee is separate from your property tax amount.
- Some payments made using a Visa Debit Card are assessed a flat fee of $3.95.
- All other credit/debit cards incur a convenience fee of 2.5% of the transaction amount. A minimum service charge of $2.00 applies.
- In Office:Payments by credit or debit card may be used when paying in person at our main office located downtown Hillsborough at the Orange County Tax Office,228 South Churton Street, Suite 200, Hillsborough, NC.
- By Phone: Call 1-844-435-3981
- Pay Online
Although the Chapel Hill Revenue Office accepts cash or check payments, they DO NOT accept credit or debit card payments.
Personal Online Banking Bill Pay
- Pay a tax bill using your financial institution’s bill pay service.
- Allow time for processing, we recommend scheduling your payment to be made at least 5 business days prior to the actual due date on the tax bill.
- Be certain to verify the property tax bill number is submitted with your payment to ensure proper credit. Delayed posting may occur if the incorrect tax number is provided. The bill number is printed in color on your bill.
- If making an advance payment, please have your bank indicate ‘Prepayment’ on the remittance.
- Make payable and remit to: Orange County Tax Office P.O. Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
Delinquent Collection Remedies
Enforced collection of taxes begins as soon as the bill becomes delinquent. Legal actions to collect taxes include, but are not limited to: garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts and rents, seizure and sale of personal property, and foreclosure and sale of real property.
All enforced collection methods include collection costs that you are required to pay in addition to taxes, penalties, and interest. Delinquent real property taxes are advertised in March.